Photo: A longtail boat travels through hydroponic tomato farms on Inle Lake, Shan State, Myanmar, November 2014 (Alex Bookbinder).
July 2016 – August 2017: Program Specialist, Higher Education Support Program, Open Society Foundations, London, UK
- I conducted a wide variety of grant making duties, working with grantees across the globe operating in the higher education field. I was primarily hired to develop OSF’s higher education-focused initiatives in Myanmar and Southeast Asia, and collaborated with national foundations and local grantees in the region to achieve these goals. My remit also included communications work for the program.
January 2016 – May 2016: Southeast Asia Project Coordinator, Migrant Report (Xchange.org)
- Migrant Report (now Xchange.org) is an information service affiliated with Migrant Offshore Aid Station, a search-and-rescue NGO headquartered in Malta. I was responsible for managing a network of ground informants in Rakhine State (Myanmar) and Bangladesh who provided intelligence on maritime movements and irregular migration. These efforts informed a groundbreaking quantitative report on attitudes towards migration and other original reporting.
June 2015 – November 2015: Deputy Editor, Frontier Myanmar magazine
- Frontier is a new business-and-politics weekly magazine that first went to print in July 2015. My duties included feature/opinion writing, managing the web presence/social media, copy editing, overseeing layout/production, and commissioning freelance work.
March 2013 – June 2015: Myanmar Correspondent, The Edge Review
- I was the Myanmar correspondent for The Edge Review, a digital weekly magazine focused on business and politics in Southeast Asia, for more than two years. I primarily wrote short features, as well as occasional hard news pieces.
- In June 2014, my coverage of Buddhist nationalism and religious violence in Myanmar for The Edge Review was awarded the 2014 Society of Publishers in Asia Award for Excellence in Human Rights Reporting, as part of a package on similar trends throughout the region [PDF 17.6 MB].
November 2013 – June 2015: Correspondent, Democratic Voice of Burma
- I produced short news stories and longer features for the Democratic Voice of Burma’s English-language website.
December 2012 – July 2013: Editor, Acumen: Myanmar B2B Management Magazine, Yangon, Myanmar
- I was the principal editor of a business-focused, English-language monthly magazine. I was responsible for developing story ideas, writing feature articles, commissioning content from freelance writers/photographers, copy-editing and overseeing layout/design matters.
August 2011 – June 2012: Research Assistant, Maritime Security Programme, S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Singapore
- I prepared monthly Horizons maritime security bulletin, conference reports and contributed to other RSIS publications.
September 2010 – June 2011: Research Assistant, Centre of International Relations, Liu Institute for Global Issues, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- I contributed research and writing to various publications relating to security issues in Asia, notably the CSCAP (Council for Security Cooperation in the Asia-Pacific) Regional Security Outlook 2011; and prepared undergraduate course materials for the Department of Political Science, University of British Columbia.
2014/2015: EU Support for Reform of the Myanmar Police Force
- I conducted a number of media skills trainings for officers of the Myanmar Police Force in Yangon and Naypyidaw in 2014 and 2015, as part of a reform project backed by the Instrument Contributing to Stability and Peace of the European Union.
Master of Science, Strategic Studies – S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2011-2012
Bachelor of Arts, International Relations – University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada, 2007-2011